Dinner tonight is a Pinterest find adapted from Authentic Suburban Gourmet. This will be my second time making her Avocado and Grilled Corn salad, and my husband and I both agreed that it makes a perfect filling for Pitas! I throw some spinach or salad greens in the pita, as well as adding canned black beans and fresh jalapeno to the salad.
Avocado and Grilled Corn Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 5 Ears Corn, husk removed
- 2 Avocado’s, diced and sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent browning
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red and or green bell pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 can of black beans, rinced
- Pitas and baby spinach or salad greens for serving. Warm the pitas by wrapping the stack in foil and baking in the oven (350) for about 7 minutes.
Brush the corn with olive or canola oil and either grill 5 minutes per side, or use your oven’s top broiler to grill the cobs, about 5 minutes per side, just until they start to toast. Dice and combine all the other ingredients in a covered bowl. When the corn is cool, cut off the kernels with a sharp knife and add to the salad. Chill. Toss the salad with the dressing when you are ready to serve, and spoon into warm pitas with the salad greens.
This makes a great lunch either in a pita or just as a salad (or over greens), since you can make it ahead of time.
- 4 T. Olive oil
- 2 T. Sherry vinegar, rice vinegar, or lime juice
- 1 t. Garlic powder
- 2 T. Fresh cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a small jar or bowl, shake or whisk to combine.