These make a great lunch or quick dinner when you have leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge! Mine were mashed potatoes with parsnips, and I had some leftover peas I threw in, along with a handful of arugula, parsley, and a cube of frozen turnip greens, but you can use almost anything. I’ll give some more suggestions at the bottom.
Kitchen Sink Bubble and Squeak (potato croquettes)
- 2c mashed potatoes
- 1 handful of assorted greens (arugula, kale, spinach, cooked cabbage etc) chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley and or green onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2-3/4c leftover cooked veggies, I used peas
- 1 heaping TBSP flour
- 1 egg (optional, but it holds together better) You could substitute Chia gel here*
- 1/3c feta cheese, grated cheddar, or parmesan (optional)
- 1c panko or dry breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- oil for frying, or cooking spray for baking
Saute the onion in a small amount of oil until soft. Mix all ingredients except the panko and the oil together in a bowl and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, longer if you are using chia gel. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Scoop the mixture into 1/4c balls and gently press into the breadcrumbs on front and back to form patties. Fry on each side for about 3 minutes until browned, then place on a paper towel on a plate in a warm oven. Alternatively, you can spray a baking sheet and the patties with cooking spray and bake the patties at 350 for about 7-10 minutes per side until lightly browned.
Other additions that would be good could be sauteed mushrooms or peppers, chopped roasted brussels sprouts, leftover salmon or sausage (if you eat that sort of thing), even chopped fresh tomato, corn, or green beans. Go nuts!