I made this salad last night to use up the last of the greens I had in the fridge, and it came out great! The tofu was especially yummy, and I can see using it with the same marinade in stir-fry or even as a main dish! Baking tofu has really been a revelation for me, it’s so easy and it makes it wonderfully chewy and just a little crisp on the outside. You don’t even have to press it first! You could use the marinade on chicken (or soy chicken) as well if you wanted to.
Asian Green Salad with Five-Spice Tofu and Mandarin Oranges serves 2, easily doubled to serve 4
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 c Organic Mixed Salad Greens
- 1/2 of a small Vidalia sweet onion
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 peeled and sliced or sectioned mandarin oranges or clementines, or one small can of mandarin oranges
- 1/4 c sliced almonds
- 8 oz five-spice baked tofu
- Sesame-Orange Dressing
Mix the first five ingredients in a large salad bowl. Top with warm tofu and dressing!
- 1/2 lb of firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 c rice wine or Mirin
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1/4 inch grated fresh ginger
- 1 TBSP brown sugar or 2-3 tsp honey
- 1 TBSP toasted sesame seeds or chia seeds (optional)
Pat the tofu dry and cut it into 1/2 inch strips or cubes. Mix all the ingredients except the sesame seeds in a bowl. Put the tofu in a dish or ziplock bag and cover with the marinade. Allow the tofu to marinade for about a half an hour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, or brush with oil. Discard the marinade and place the tofu on the pan in a single layer and sprinkle with sesame seeds or chia. Bake the tofu for 40-45 minutes, flipping it every 10-12 minutes.
- 1/4 c orange juice, or the juice from one Clementine
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 inch grated fresh ginger root, or 1/2 tsp dried ginger
Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Can be used cold, or gently warmed.